Monday, April 18, 2022

Meditation - I am a Sanyasi by Swami Viditatmananda at Rishikesh Camp 2022

 




Om Namah Shivaya chanting

In the Kaivalya Upanishad, while describing the preparation for meditation it says   अत्याश्रमस्थः  the meditator should be अत्याश्रमस्थः  - become अत्यश्रमी  the one who transcends all Ashramas, who transcends all the stages of life, meaning that one who meditates gives up identification with all stages of life. I am not a brahmachari or brahmacharini. Brahmacharya is a stage of life… I usually think of myself as a brahmachari or a brahmacharini …. Garhastya or householder is a stage of life. I think of myself as a Grhasta- householder. Or I may have passed on to the next stage a vanaprastha – I am retired, a vanaprastha. Or I may have moved to the next stage of life – I am a sanyasi.

These identifications are quite alright for performing my vyavahara, for conducting myself in the life . With every state of life is associated a kartavya or  the duty of what I should do and what I should not be. Vidhi and nisheda.

All of this goes into my notion or conclusion about myself. That I am a sadhaka, I am a seeker. I am a mumukshu, I am a seeker of moksha.

Whatever idea, a notion or conclusion I have, about  myself also carries with it the duties, the kartavya, the do's and don'ts, what I should do and what I should not do.

atyāśramasthaḥ - right now I do not belong to any stage of life. I am not a brahmachari or brahmacharini. I am not a grahasta, or a vanaprastha, nor even a sanyasi. I dropped all these identifications. I'm not accountable to anybody, meaning I do not have to fulfill anybody's demands on me….. and nobody is accountable to me meaning nobody has any duties towards me, because I make no demands upon anyone.

That someone should do this for me. Someone should behave in a given manner. Someone should not behave in a given manner. I let go all the demands and expectations from others as to what anyone else should be.

Let the people out there remain out there. A person who is out there comes in because of demands, expectations. I accept everyone as they all.

स्पर्शान्कृत्वा बहिर्बाह्यांन् Let the people out there remain out there. A person who is out there comes in (my mind) because of demands, expecatations.  I let go all demands, all expectations of other persons. Other objects come in my mind because I want to possess them or I want to get rid of them. Nothing to possess, nothing to get rid of.

I just remain a simple person, non-demanding. One gives up all demands, all expectations from others and one gives up all demands unexpected from the self.

 I do not make any demands on others, meaning I give freedom to others to what they are. Let them be good or not good. Let them be helpful, not helpful. Let others be whatever they are, whatever they want to be. I'm comfortable with everyone, everything out there. Because that is how the people and objects are created by Ishvara - and I gracefully accept, respect, love the creation of Ishvara.

By accepting others, I'm not obliging them. I'm just releasing myself from the tension or anxiety that is created by expectation. I gracefully accept the world as it is, as Ishvara’s  creation. I make no demand on anyone because of the appreciation that everything is in order. Everything doesn't have to fulfill my expectation – what Is  is because of expectation of Ishvara and I let go my expectations. I let go my demands, in the graceful acceptance of what is, what people are, what things are, what circumstances are, what the world is. That makes me free.

By letting go the demands, by the graceful acceptance of what is, I become free from all anxieties, from all fears, from all uncertainties.

I discover that I am free, It is I who imposed upon myself these demands and expectations and I bound myself. I have the freedom to give up all demands, all expectations and thus I become free. 

I similarly give up expectations and demands of myself. Just as I lovingly accept the world as it is, I also gracefully accept myself as I am meaning that I gracefully accept all my limitations. Just as I gracefully accept the limitations of others and respect them, and  love them regardless so also I gracefully accept my limitations of the body, of the mind, of the intellect. It is my inability to accept my limitations. Just as I make demands on others as to what they should be I make demand on myself as to how I should be.

I approve of myself. I let go my expectations of myself. I gracefully accept all my limitations including my ragas and dveshas. I gracefully accept my all virtues and vices. Just as the world is in order as it is, I am also in order as I am. Because all virtues and vices reside in my upadhi. The strengths and weaknesses reside in the body, in the mind, in the intellect. I gracefully accept this upadhi, this personality of the mind, sense-organs, body.

I am comfortable with the world. I am comfortable with myself. It is expectation, demand that creates discomfort. Creates tensions, creates fears. I let go all expectations from others, and  from myself by gracefully accepting everything as Ishvara’s order.

माहं ब्रह्म निराकुर्याम् । May I not discard Brahman, because whatever is here is all Ishvara. May I not disrespect Ishvara. May I gracefully accept Ishvara, worship Ishvara, love Ishvara. Give Ishvara the freedom to be what He is. Ishvara is in the form of what is out there, and what is in here. Everything is Ishvara. May I not discard, reject, disrespect Ishvara.

May Ishvara not discard me. May I love Ishvara. May Ishvara love me. May I love Ishvara as what is out there and what is in here.

All limitations all virtue, all vices …. Its all Ishvara. The guna – virtues and dosha-vices….. that is the  costume of Ishvara. Ishvara in fact is present here in this costume also. I appreciate the costume as a costume and not get stuck with why the costume is in certain way. Afterall it’s a costume …. Name and form is costume. My name and form is also a costume. I am the one who possesses the costume. The costumes are different. All distinctions belong to the costume.  Male and female. Young and not so good.  Bright and not so bright -  all of these distinctions belong to the costume. I appreciate the costume as the costume. A loving acceptance of what IS, that is a loving acceptance of Ishvara.

In that acceptance, I am free.  It is the demand and expectations that bind me. I am  free from demands and expectations because I gracefully accept everything as it is. In fact I appreciate the glory of what is … and in that appreciation I am free.

I do not need to do anything to be free. I need this frame of mind to see that I am free. A frame of mind that is free from all expectations and demand. A  frame of mind that is free from all needs and wants. A frame of mind that is comfortable with what is. A mind that gracefully  accepts what is, what I am.

In this moment I see that I'm alright.

I am alright.

Various demands and expectations arose because I believed that I'm not alright.  When I see I am alright, then there's no room for demands and expectations and I am free.

मे द्वेषरागौ मे लोभमोहौ

मदो नैव मे नैव मात्सर्यभावः

Na me devsha ragau – aversion and attachment are not mine, na me lobha-mohau – greed and delusion are not mine,  madaH naiva me naiva maatsarya bhavaH - the pride and jealousy are also not mine. Wherever they are are, they are not in me and so I have nothing to accomplish.

धर्मो चार्थो कामो मोक्षः

There is no purusharthas, there is no end to be achieved, because what Is, Is complete. There is no dharma, or kaama or moksha in me.

चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् …. चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् …. शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम्

Om purnamadaH….

Om Shantih shantiH shantiH…..

 

 


Note: You can get this meditation at www.dayananda.org.