Friday, September 16, 2022

The Body Is Scared, The Body Is A Temple


 "Upasana helps one to grow spiritually and it also helps to understand that everything is Isvarah, the infinite intelligent cause of the whole universe.

Resolving the individual into the total one will see there is no more individual, this ultimately becomes jñanam and culminates in the final knowledge which is “I am Isvara” but until I totally understand the equation “tat tvam asi” That thou art, I need to gain a certain relaxation and nourishment through prayer. Repeated chanting and understanding this prayer will give this priceless nourishment." Swami Vagishananda

Transcription is below  - please excuse some typos which may be there

Sit comfortably, yet alert. So let your trunk and neck be aligned, close your eyes gently and take a deep breath to get settled down…….. ……… ……….

Now make a sankalpa to affirm your intention and commitment to meditate. Acknowledge the fact that you have many unfulfilled responsibilities and issues that need to be addressed. Since you don't want to be distracted by those things during this meditation, you can give yourself permission to set all those concerns aside just for the duration of this meditation. You can even imagine a box into which you put all your concerns, close the box and place it at your altar or anywhere else…. You can open the box and address your concerns after this meditation……….

With progressive relaxation we relax the body.

Let’s start by turning your attention to your feet. Become aware of sensations there. Notice a sense of pressure as your feet press down….. …….

Now become aware of any tension that might be held in the muscles of your feet and let go of that tension……. Allow those muscles to relax completely…….If you find it difficult to release the tension, just imagine you are breathing into them…. And they will relax….. ……

Next, turn your attention to your ankles and calves. Notice if there is a sensation  of pressure…. Notice  the touch of your clothing …. Any  warmth or coolness……Become aware of any tension held in the muscles of your ankles and calves and let go of that tension completely…… ……

Next, turn to your knees and thighs…….Notice the weight of your hands or arms where they rest on your thighs…… Notice any other sensations. ……Become aware of any tension held in your knees and thighs and let go of that tension completely…..

Next, turn to the trunk of your body. Feel the weight of your body pressing down on the seat…….Feel the firmness of the seat beneath you……. Let go of any tension……..

Next, turn to your lower back and stomach together…….. become aware of the sensations there……… Let go of any tension. If you find it difficult to let go of the tension, simply breathe into it gently….. imagine you are breathing into that tension very gently………

Now turn to your upper back and chest together……….

Become aware of sensations and let go of any tensions that are there…. ……

Become aware your neck muscles and shoulders. We tend to hold a lot of tension here. Become aware of any tension here …. let go of it completely …. If you find it difficult, breathe into it gently…….

Be aware of your arms …. Let go of any tensions you may be feeling there……

Now become aware of your face, the muscles around your eyes, at your temples and across your forehead. …..Let go of any tension.

Now become aware of your breath … just be aware … we are not regulating it. Relax and simply listen to these words, without concentrating …. Just allow the meaning of the words to take place.

………………………….

This body-mind-sense complex that you are endowed with, is a manifestation of Ishvara’s Grace …. It is sacred …. It is the home of Ishvara … it is a devalaya.

Dehah devaalayam proktah : deha is the body devalayam - is an abode of deva – who is deva – the Infinite Lord. The body, all bodies are the temple of the infinite Lord. The body is looked upon as a temple of the infinite Lord.

……………. ………. …………. Take a deep breath and let it out very slowly…..

Jiva Deva SanatanaH  …. Since time immemorial Ishwara  dwells in this temple, that we call the body…..

In this meditation…. we try to understand this truth……

…….. …….. ……… ………

Our shastra has this vision that Ishvara being the creator of this universe as well as the created universe, every part of my body is sacred because it is pervaded by Ishvara….. so a devata is associated with each and every part of the body. It is only because of ignorance that we are not alive to this reality. So we now consciously invoke their Grace by remembering them.. ….A devata is a manifestation of Ishwara, governing a specific function in the universe. In the Laghu Nyasa of Vedic Chant, the Rudram, reveals the devatas governing different aspects of this body.  

……..

I will be saying a few chants from this portion of the  Rudram, which points out the different devatas…. associated with the different parts…. of the body.

Through these chants we invoke the Grace of the devatas and  allow ourselves to recognize how sacred and blessed this body is.

……..

प्रजनने ब्रह्मा तिष्ठतु Prajanan -In the genital organs from where all creation begins -   may the Grace of Brahma, be invoked. I see my genital organs as sacred because the grace of Brahma is here…… Unto Brahma my Salutations

पादयो-र्विष्णुस्तिष्ठतु In my feet -  may the grace of Vishnu be invoked.  My feet are sacred. The grace of Vishnu is ever-present here…… Unto Vishnu my salutations……

हस्तयो-र्हरस्तिष्ठतु In my hands and all that I do with my hands … may the grace of Hara be invoked. Hara is a form of Lord Shiva….. Unto Hara my salutations….

I see that the intelligence that pervades these parts of my body is the intelligence of all the devatas, the cosmic intelligence that pervades the Universe warp and woof, like the threads that make up a fabric.

बाह्वोरिन्द्रस्तिष्टतु In my arms, in the strength,…. the power they are capable of…. May the Grace of Indra be invoked … It is by Indra’s grace that these arms are endowed with their capacity, their strength and power. …. Unto Indra my salutations.   

जठरेऽअग्निस्तिष्ठतु In the jaathara agini, the digestive fire that is present in the stomach …may  the Grace of Agni be invoked. And because of the grace of Agni,  this body functions. The body gets hungry and gets nourished because of the food that's digested  in the stomach by Agni’s heat. I allow myself to see this grace operating….. Unto Agni my salutations.  

हृद॑ये शिवस्तिष्ठतु In my heart the Grace of Shiva abides…. I invoke that Grace by my remembering….    Shiva is in my heart … ever present as the sense of  ‘I am’…. Shiva means  all auspiciousness, all blessing…. and it is that all-auspiciousness, all-blessing that is ever-present in my heart…. When I can see that, it  allows me to  accept life and flow with it ……. Unto Shiva my salutations……

…….

कण्ठे वसवस्तिष्ठन्तु । May the Grace of eight vasus or devatas of nature  be invoke  in my throat  … because of their Grace, I can swallow, speak, sing….express myself. … Unto the Vasus, my salutations.

वक्त्रे सरस्वती तिष्ठतु May the Grace of Saraswati, the Goddess of speech, of knowledge reside on my tongue…. With her Grace I express myself appropriately, I  receive knowledge ….I allow myself to see this…… Unto Saraswati my salutations……

नासिकयो-र्वायुस्तिष्ठतु In my nostrils, may  the Grace of Vayu be invoked…. Whose Grace  allows the air to be inhaled and exhaled. And in this simple process with inhalation I am energized and with exhalation I relax…. Because of the Grace of Vayu, life flows in me….. Unto Vayu my salutations. …..

नयनयो-श्चन्द्रादित्यौ तिष्टेताम् In my eyes may the  Grace of the sun and the moon be invoked. They are the luminaries that bless us with Light. It  is because of the light that I see. I see this Grace operating. …. Unto Chandra and Aditya   my salutations…..

कर्णयोरश्विनौ तिष्टेताम्  May the Grace of the twin Ashwini Kumars be invoked in my ears – it is because of their Grace that these ears are blessed with the capacity to listen, to hear, to absorb, to understand. The twin Ashwini Kumars are the Vedic Gods symbolizing the rising and setting sun. They are associated with bringing treasures and medicines to man. I see their Grace because of which I am able to listen. ……Unto the Ashwini Kumaras my salutations……

ललाटे रुद्रास्तिष्ठन्तु । In my fore-head may  the presence of the many Rudras, their Grace be invoked….. Unto the Rudras my salutations …..

मूर्थ्न्यादित्यास्तिष्ठन्तु In the back of  my forehead, may  the blessings of the 12 Aditiyas, the solar deities, be invoked. May they bless me. Unto the Adityas my salutations……

शिरसि महादेवस्तिष्ठतु In my head the Grace of  Mahadeva be invoked…. Om Mahadevaya namah…..

शिखायां-वाँमदेवास्तिष्ठतु In the back of my head, the portion where the Shikha is, may i the presence of Vamadeva be invoked…. Om Vaamadevaaya Namah….

पृष्ठे पिनाकी तिष्ठतु my entire back… is presided… by Pinaki.. referring to Shiva holding his bow….. He holds power, He holds and wills maya saktih . Unto Pinaki my salutations……

पुरतः शूली तिष्ठतु The entire front is presided by Shuli,  who is Lord Shiva bearing the Trishula…. Unto Shuli my salutations……

पार्श्वयोः शिवाशङ्करौ तिष्ठेताम्  My left side, my right side are presided over by Shiva and Shankara. Unto Shiva and Shankara my Salutations……..

सर्वतो वायुस्तिष्ठतु May the Grace of all-pervading Vayu be invoked in every cell of the body and outside the body. May I see His all-pervading Grace at all times. Unto Vayu my Salutations …….

ततो बहिः सर्वतोऽग्नि-र्ज्वालामाला-परिवृतस्तिष्ठतु When I recognize how Ishvara pervades both the outside and this entire body-mind-complex,  it is like Ishvara as the fire of knowledge pervading the entire creation in endless sacred circles of fire

……

सर्वेष्वङ्गेषु सर्वा देवता यथास्थानं तिष्ठन्तु May all the devatas abide in  their respective parts … so that I am alive to their Grace in all my angas, in each and  every part of my body.

माम् रक्षन्तु May all the devatas protect me …. By gracing me with the capacity to recognize them and not take them for granted. ….. Unto all the Devatas my salutations…..

सर्वान् महान् जनान् रक्शन्तु  may all the people mahan janaan the protectors of Dharma may they all be protected,  to do fulfil their role in this great cosmic offering.

……

In this vision my body mind sense complex is scared. I can accept this body-mind as it is…... This body is a Devalaya,…. it is a temple presided over by all the devatas, filled with their Grace, pervaded with their blessings……I can invoke their grace by choosing dharma in what I do……

With Shiva, all auspiciousness, ever-present in my heart, this body is an ever-flowing manifestation of grace,  of auspiciousness ….. ….. …… May I be alive to this reality. May this body be a temple for me…. In whom all auspiciousness resides… because Shiva is in my heart…... When this vision is there, there is auspiciousness.

I try and see this vision again and again…. The very fact that I try is also nothing but Ishvara’s Grace. …..

I see clearly that it is Ishvara’s intelligence, the cosmic intelligence because of which this body-mind-sense complex functions…. …… ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. …… ….. …… …… …… ….. …… …….

Ishvara is in my heart and the body is a temple. … it is sacred ….. it is all Ishvara …..I see this…. …. ….. ….

Om….. Om….. Om…..

Shri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram

Om Shantih Shantih Shantih