Friday, March 6, 2020

Thankful Offerings To Ancestors - Pujya Swami Govinddev Giriji


Pitr Yajna
May we do something for our ancestors. We have come to to the physical plane on this earth. We have not come just like that. We have a lineage and we are connected to that lineage. We are also connected to our ancestors who have departed. Our Shastra reveals that we are connected to at least three generations of ancestors. Their blessings and grace become fruitful in our life. Therefore remembering all their benevolent actions, we perform pitr-tarpan in the form of simple offering of water. What is so big about it? This is called as- yajna. All that is offered in this pitr-yajna is just a palm full of water along with sesame seeds in it. The main attitude here is that I am remembering my ancestors. Through that rememberance I am acknowledging my gratitude towards them. Because of the strong shraddha involved it is  called as pitr-yajna. This is the minimum that I may necessarily do for my ancestors - daily. May there be remembrance of my ancestors in my daily life so that their blessings may continue in my life. Acknowledging with gratitude, whatever they had done for our families, may we make this small but necessary effort to free ourselves from our debt to them.

...Translated excerpt from book Yajnamaya Jivan