Saturday, August 1, 2026

Reflective Questions on Karma Yoga

 


1. Examining Action (Īśvarārpaṇa-Buddhi)

  • Before beginning a task, ask: "Am I doing this because it is my duty (Dharma) in this situation, or am I doing it solely to validate my ego, gain praise, or satisfy a personal preference?"
  • When a project succeeds or fails, do I instantly claim "I did this," or can I trace how my intelligence, physical strength, opportunity, and materials were all provided by Īśvara's order?
  • "Which duties in my life am I avoiding simply because my mind has labeled them 'boring' or 'unpleasant'? How can I reframe these duties as an offering to Īśvara?"

2. Examining Outcomes (Prasāda-Buddhi)

  • When plans crumble, how much mental energy do I waste asking "Why me?" or blaming circumstances, instead of recognizing the outcome as the precise manifestation of cosmic laws (Īśvara-Sṛṣṭi)?
  • "Am I acting with a hidden contract that says, 'If I give 100% effort, the universe owes me the exact result I want'?"
  • After receiving an unfavorable result, how quickly does my mind regain its clarity and composure to ask, "What is required of me now?"

3. Examining the Mind (Antaḥkaraṇa-Śuddhi)

  • Does my daily engagement with the world make my mind more turbulent, or is the practice of Karma Yoga gradually making my mind quieter and more centered?
  • When anxiety, anger, or envy arises in the mind, do I say "I am angry" (identifying with it), or can I observe it as a temporary wave passing through the antah-karana?
  • Is my mind becoming subtle and tranquil enough to reflect on spiritual teachings (Śravaṇam) without being hijacked by restless desires and anxieties?

Tip for Practice: Choose just one question to hold in your awareness for a week. Observe your reactions without judgment during daily tasks, interactions, and quiet moments.