Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Meditation Series (1976) of Pujya Swami Dayananda – 1 to 8



This is a series of meditations done in 1976 by Pujya Swami Dayanandaji. Swamiji says that these meditations are meant to own up what is already known at the feet of a teacher. Therefore they are meaningful only for those persons who have studied the books of Vedanta properly, with the help of a competent teacher.
(1)
Imagine … a red hot iron ball.
It is brillaint, it is hot.
But the iron ball of itself, has no brilliance, has no heat.
Fire is present IN the iron ball.
Fire is in and through the iron ball.
…It is all over the iron ball.
Similarly ….
I think of my body.
The body, of itself, is inert, is insentient….
The body has no Awareness of its own.
It is aglow with sentiency because Consciousness is present in the body.
Consciousness is in and through the body…. It is all over the body.
See the truth of this ….
See…
All over the body, every part is conscious, sentient….
Part by part I see
… face…. face…. chest….. hands…. legs…
See every part …. it is conscious, it is sentient.
Consciousness is present in every part of the body…
It is all over the body.
It is in and thru the body,
See the truth of this ……
Om
(2)
Only when I am conscious of being conscious am I conscious.
I do not take for granted that I am this body ….
Nor do I take for granted that I am not.
I am conscious of my body….
    I am consciousness IN the body ….
The Body is in Consciousness – Consciousness is not the body…
Consciousness is distinct from the body ….
I am conscious of the space to the left of me…
that space is in my Consciousness.
I am conscious of the space to the right of me…
that space is in my Consciousness.
The space abouve my head I am conscious of …
that space is in my Consciousness.
The Consciousness is free from all shapes ….
    free from all notions.
It is Shapeless Consciousness…
Shapeless Consciousness….
Shapeless Consciousness….
Om
(3)
I am Conscious of Breathing ….
The flow of breath, in and out, is in Consciousness.
I see the breath in Consciousness….
I am Conscious of the flow of breath…
I am Consciousness free from breath.
I am Consciousness…
Consciousness…
Consciousness….
Consciousness…
Om
(4)
Itself inert being made of inert materials the physical body is sentient.
The inert physical body gains sentiency because of the presence of the subtle body in it.
The subtle body is Conscious because I am (Sakshi), the Consciousness in it reflected – all over.
Therefore I am Awareness in the physical body.
Every square inch of my body is sentient …..
Conscious to touch …. from the top of my head to the soles of my feet …
Like even every part of a red hot iron ball …. because of the presence of fire.
I am Consciousness in the body making it conscious to touch.
As even in the body …. I am in the breath.
I am Conscious of my breathing ….
I watch my breathing in Consciousness.
In Consciousness, is the flow of breath, in and out ….
IN Consciousness, is the flow of breath …. in and out.
The breath falls within the scope of my Consciousness.
I am Conscious of my breath….
    I am Consciousness free from breath.
I am Conscious of my breath …
    I am Consciousness free from breath.
I am Consciousness….
Consciousness…
Consciousness….
Consciousness….
Om
(5)
I Am …. the Awareness in the ears.
The ears hear sounds
in Awareness.
The sounds which come to the ears differ ….
    the Awareness does not.
I Am Awareness in the ears.
Without reaction…
    in Awareness, I hear the sounds.
I Am the Awareness in what is heard …. Itself free from sound.
I Am Awareness….
I Am Awareness….
Awareness….
Awareness….
Awareness….
Om
(6)
I am Conscious of my breath ….
I am Conscious of my breath …..
I am Conscious of my breath.
Deliberately I breathe in and out,
    and thus become Conscious of my breath.
Now I just watch my breath, now I am just conscious of my breath.
Breathing takes place…
    I am just Conscious of the flow of breath.
The movement of breath …. takes place in my Awareness.
In Awareness is the motion of breath.
Even as the air moves in space….
    the breath moves in Awareness.
I am the Shapeless Awareness
    in which the breath moves.
Shapeles Awareness am I……
Shapeless Awareness am I …..
I am Shapeless Awareness.
WHAT IS Shapeless Awareness?
Answer without a word….
Om
(7)
What is Shapeless Awareness?
Answer without thinking ….
    What is shapeless Awareness?
I am Shapeless Awareness….
Shapeless Awareness Am I.
Shapeless Awareness Am I.
Shapeless Awareness …. Shapeless Awareness ….
Shapeless Awareness……
Shapeless Awareness….
I am Shapeless Awareness…..
Shapeless Awareness…..
Shapeless Awareness……
Awareness…..
Awareness…..
Awareness ……
Om
(8)
Imagine ….. the space outside.
Imagine the space outside….
    The Air moves freely in space.
Wherever it moves … it is in Space.
    The Air is very much with the Space.
The space is not in a given place…..
It is All-Pervasive.
The Space is never affected by air, even though the Air is very much with the space.
Space is free from Air.
The Air in my nostrils ….
    is in my Consciousness as even the Air outside is in Space.
I am Conscious of my breath….
as Air moves in Space ….. the breath moves in my Awareness.
The breath is never away from my Awareness as even the air and space outside.
The Awareness is never affected by the movement of breath as even sapce is never affected by the movment of air.
The Space never changes …
The Awareness never changes.
The Awareness is ever the same….. as even space is.
The Awareness never changes…..
    IT JUST IS….
Ever the same…
    IT JUST IS…..
With no frontiers,
    IT JUST IS.
Awareness IS …..
Awareness is I.
'I' Is Awareness ….. I am Awareness ….
Awareness is the 'I'…..
I….. Awareness ….. Is
I…… the Awareness…..
OM