Saturday, April 16, 2022

Meditation- I am simple loving kind person as everyone is by Swami Viditatmananda at Rishikesh Camp 2022



This is an appointment with myself … when I spend a quality time with myself,… when I have no other agenda……nothing is waiting for me and I am not waiting for anything.

To be with me,  who is a simple conscious being. Right now I have no duties to perform. This time is assigned just for myself…. when I have no duties to perform….meaning that nobody has any demand upon me. I have no obligation to fulfill anybody's demands…… because I am not so and so.

Right now I am a simple conscious person ….with no roles to play.

During the day I do play variety of roles ….…a I’m  father or mother, a spouse, a son or a daughter, a brother or a sister,  disciple or a guru… a householder or a brahmachari,… a vanaprasta or a sanyasi

During the day I play variety of roles…. because that is my duty. That is what is expected of me. There are certain norms… certain accepted rules …which I have to follow throughout the day when I am interacting with the world…..The world may be my family…. the world may be my friends…. the world may be my co students…. The world maybe my co campers….The world may be the Ganga, the Himalayas…..

I am a student….. a devotee…. A meditator….. a sevak….. I play a variety of roles during the day when I am interacting with the world. And it's quite proper.

Yet this is the time when I have dropped all the rules. When I'm free from the compulsion of having to do a given thing. No compulsion, no duty….. no demands to fulfil, no goals to achieve. Neither the world has any demands on me, nor do I have any demands upon the world.

I have no demands because I accept everyone as they are. I have no likes and dislikes. I have no preferences.

Everyone who is in my life is in order. Everyone, whether my family, my friends, my roommates, my co students, my co-campers, the visitors…whoever they are ….. I  gracefully accept them as they are.

I give the freedom to others to be what they are.

I do not judge other people. I understand that people are what they are because that is how Ishwara has made them.

In general, people do not have the freedom to be different from what they are.

When a dog barks at me, I don’t hate the dog, I don't feel insulted because I know that is the nature of a dog. When I take a  dip in the Ganges, it is very cold. I don't complain because I know that is the nature of the water of the Ganga. The sun is hot, I take precautions and develop a comfort with that. How I have learned to develop a comfort with what I cannot change… I cannot change the temperature of the Ganga water so I know how to relate to that. I cannot change the temperature of the sun. I have developed a way of relating to that….

There are countless things around me with which I have to relate and I'm comfortable when I accept them as they are, knowing that is the nature.

Earth is what it is. Water is what it is. Air is what it is. Fire is what it is. Space is what it is. That is how they are made.

 I climb down the stairs, I don't jump.

I respect everything as it is because I cannot change them. So I develop a comfort with what I cannot change.

Similarly, other people who are in my life, just as I give freedom to the nature to be what it is and I adjust, so also, I give freedom to other human beings as they are.

I make no demands upon anyone. I give them freedom to be what they are. I gracefully accept them as they are.

Even better, I lovingly accept other people as they are.

I remind myself that what I perceive is the outer costume. It is a costume…. the body, mind and sense organs. That is where the virtues are. That is where the vices are. Virtues are guna, vices are dosha …. The guna and dosha they are all the attributes of the costume. I recognize a costume as a costume.

Then I have the opportunity to recognize the person behind the costume.

Everyone is a union of the person and the personality. What I interact with is a personality. But when I give reality to the costume, when I give reality to a personality, I overlook the person. I overlook the actor. I overlook the fact that a person is a simple, loving, beautiful person. The personality, the costume does not affect the person.

The same thing applies to me.

I am a simple, conscious person.

I'm the possessor of the body.

I'm the possessor of the organs of perception.

I use my organs of perception for perceiving, for experiencing the world.

I use my organs of action for responding to the word, the organ of speech, the hands, the legs. I use them to perform actions and to respond.

I have a mind with which I know.

I have this beautiful personality, a wonderful costume that is given to me.

I am the possessor of the costume……..

The costumes are many. The personalities are many. Yet the person, the possessor of the costume, the ‘I’, is a simple conscious being.

I am a simple conscious being  as everyone else is. I have a personality, a costume as everyone else has.

The costumes are many. The personalities are many. The person is ONE.

There is no duality at level of the conscious being. There is no separateness in the person.

It is this simple, conscious person whom I love. It is this simple, conscious person with whom I'm happy. If I have a problem, the problem is with the costume.

I have no problem with myself… the person that I am. I have no problem with others… the persons they are and I have no problem with myself, the person that I am.

तरति शोकम् आत्मवित् - tarati śokam ātmavit

 The knower of the self …. I, who knows the self, is a simple, loving, beautiful, conscious person. I have no problem with myself.

I'm comfortable with myself…. a simple, beautiful, loving person …..and I'm happy to be what I am. When I recognize myself as a simple, conscious, loving person, I'm comfortable with myself. I'm happy with myself.

That is the freedom where there is no grief… where there is harmony… where there is comfort….. where there is contentment…..

The contented simple, free, loving person I am …. when all demands are given up…..when all expectations are given up …… when all the roles are dropped…. when I see myself as a simple, kind, loving, beautiful, conscious person.

Cidananda rupah shivoham shivoham

Cidananda rupah shivoham shivoham

Cidananda rupah shivoham shivoham

Shivoham shivoham

….

…..

……..

Om Shantih shantih shantiH

 


Note You can get this meditation from www.dayananda.org