Monday, April 11, 2022

Namah- my surrender unto Lord Shiva - Meditation at Rishikesh camp 2022 by Swami Viditatmananda

 


O Namah Shivaya, my prostrations, my salutations to Lord Shiva. Namah … is salutations. Surrender. Om Namah Shivaya. I surrender to Lord Shiva. Surrendering not out of helplessness, surrendering not out of weakness. Surrendering out of willingness, because of my shraddha, my trust in the Lord, in Ishvara, who is manifest as the order in the universe.. ….Ishvara who is manifest as the order.

 This is not a mechanical order. It is true that it is the fundamental order which keeps this whole universe functioning in a harmonious manner. Yet Ishvara is more than this mechanical order running the universe. Ishvara is also the moral order - that not only the universe runs because of the mechanical laws, the universe also runs because of the moral laws.

 There is a moral order. And even more fundamental than that, there is a spiritual order. Ishvara, is not just ordainer, not just karma-phala-daata dispensing the results of the action, in keeping with the moral order. As you sow so you reap. Ishvara is more than that. Ishvara is benevolent, He is Suhrd, He is Compassionate.  If we have to identify the intention of Ishvara, it is to bring about the well being of everyone, everything.

 It does not look sometimes that's what is happening is necessarily with the intention of the well being. It looks like there's lot of cruelty, looks like there's injustice, looks like there's unfairness. And it is likely that we may feel the object of injustice, unfairness. At the superficial level there may appear conflict and even cruelty, may be injustice. But in the depth of this, just as there are waves, and disturbances and  even storms on the surface of the ocean, yet there is profound silence in the depth of the ocean ...similarly, also  Ishvara or the reality of the universe should not be judged merely by what appears on the surface.

 In the depth of everything, there is fairness, justice, compassion…. Om Namah Shivaya ...... I surrender …. I surrender my resistance.

 Very often I resist, even reject what is. Sometimes I revolt because I disapprove of what is and I may have reasons for that conclusion. Yet what is meant by the 'namah' surrender to the Lord, is accepting in good faith, that at the bottom of everything, at the core of everything, there is fairness, there is justice…..there is compassion.

 This is how the Upanishads reveals the nature of Ishvara.

आनन्दात् एव खल्विमानि भूतानि जायन्ते

ānandāt eva khalvimāni bhūtaani jāyante

 All the beings are born of Ananda, of wholeness, of completeness.

 आनन्देन जातानि जीवन्ति

ānandena jātaani jīvanti

All the beings are sustained in Ananda and they merge back in Ananda.

 Behind the dukha, the sorrow, the conflict… which is experienced at the superficial level…. Namah means I  have trust that there is justice, fairness and compassion in my life.

 Sometimes the mother seems to be cruel to a child. When a mother is administering medicine to a child, maybe bitter medicine, the child thinks mother is very cruel, but there is kindness in that cruelty.  Similarly, Ishvara is mother … this is a matter of trust.

 श्रद्धावान् लभते ज्ञानम्

śraddhāvān labhate jñānam

 Lord Krishna says the one who has implicit trust, gains the knowledge meaning that it becomes the  reality in my life.

My conclusion is,  there is  unfairness and injustice in life. I can discover fairness, compassion when I do not give reality to the superficial injustice or unfairness.

 Om Namah Shivaya

 Shiva means auspicious, Shiva means Ananda. Shiva means tranquility. That is, auspiciousness, tranquility ananda, as a basis of everything.

 What is meant by shraddha is that I accept that in good faith and live my life in keeping with that vision.

श्रद्धावान् लभते ज्ञानम्

śraddhāvān labhate jñānam

 If I have shraddha in what the Scriptures reveal, if I make that basis of my life, not giving reality to my conclusions, not giving reality to my opposite conclusions…..meaning I let go of my conclusions which are contrary to what the Scriptures reveal.

 That is the neti neti process….. and base my life on Shiva, gracefulness, auspiciousness -  that is the way that the negativities in my life will be dropped. Letting go. That is the way to discover freedom in my life.

 The so called bondage is nothing but my various conclusions about life, various conclusions about myself, various conclusions about the world.

 Om Namah Shivaya.

 Every conclusion is examined in the light of the fact that Shiva is the reality.  Then it is possible for me to accept life as prasada because Shiva is the karma-phala-daata, he gives me, he creates for me various circumstances.

 Namah means prasada buddhi. What is given by Ishvara is  gracefully accepted by me as prasada. That prasada may be sweet sometimes, sour sometimes, even bitter sometimes.

 If I keep in mind the fact that what comes to me, comes from Lord Shiva, through various intermediaries no doubt, ultimately the Giver is Lord Shiva whose agenda is to shape me, whose agenda is to reveal the beauty within me, that whatever comes to me in my life is to help me, not hurt me.

 Om Namah Shivaya

 This is called Namah- surrender to Lord – surrendering, letting go my will, my  judgment at the feet of the Lord meaning I accept the Lord's judgment in my life, as gracefully as I can.

 And that is how my tendencies is to resist, to revolt, to reject - slowly I'm able to overcome these tendencies and discover peace within myself.

 Shiva is not away from me. He is my very self which is peace and auspiciousness. But I am deprived of the benefit of the peace, of the auspiciousness, because of not accepting Lord Shiva in my life. Because of not accepting His sankalpa or will in my life, and asserting my will.

 This Namah,  this surrender is an enlightened surrender, not out of helplessness. It is out of understanding, out of shraddha or the trust, that takes a lot of burden in my mind.

 Om Namah Shivaya…….